27th September, 2015 - Newbridge win Leinster League Div 2A Opener

Newbridge   43 pts    v    Athboy   15 pts

On Sunday 27th September on a lovely sunny afternoon Newbridge welcomed newly promoted Athboy to Rosetown for the first time to play their opening Leinster League Division 2A match. Despite spirited and robust opposition by the visitors Newbridge won comfortably by 7 tries to three thus securing a league bonus point. In perfect rugby playing conditions the spectators were hoping for some fast flowing open rugby and in the main they were not to be disappointed. The crowd was boosted by many who had attended the earlier Old Kilcullen RFC Reunion lunch in the Rosetown clubhouse.

Newbridge opened their score just before the 10 minute mark when No10 Garrett Brewer broke through the Athboy defence to touch down under the posts. Fullback Dave Mullin’s conversion gave Newbridge an early 7 point lead. The lead was doubled within 5 minutes. Ten metres out the experienced Colin O’Brien, playing in the back row, secured clean lineout ball which allowed fellow back rower Niall Duggan to drive towards the score line. Held up just short the ball was quickly recycled and scrumhalf Mark Delaney scored the try. Again Mullins converted. To their credit Athboy now raised their game and using the power of their pack put Newbridge under some pressure. After Newbridge had kicked the ball out on the full from near their 22 Athboy won the resulting lineout. Newbridge were now back pedalling as Athboy recycled the ball finally touching down near the posts. The missed conversion left the score Newbridge 14 Athboy 5. The Rosetown side refocused and scored a third try before the half hour mark. Mark Delaney made a decisive break to release the free running Brewer who easily beat the despairing defenders to score his second try. Mullins again converted. Athboy came back at the home side but, despite being reduced to 14 men, they held out and went into the half time break 21 points to 5 ahead.

The lead was extended within a minute of the restart when Brewer scored his third try securing the try bonus point for Newbridge. The missed conversion left Newbridge 21 points clear. Athboy showed great spirit and continued to pressure Newbridge who suffered a second yellow card just after being restored to 15 players. After a series of penalties and lineouts the visitors scored a second unconverted try with the conversion kick coming back off the upright. The game was opening up as players tired on both sides and substitutions were made. Newbridge were next to score after great work by the forward pack released the ball to the back line allowing Dave Mullins to score an unconverted try. Brewer added his fourth try shortly after. Robust tackling by Niall Duggan and Gary Maguire turned over the ball deep in the Newbridge 22. Brewer then ran the length of the pitch to score. The difficult conversion was missed.

To their credit Athboy kept playing and were awarded with a third unconverted try. As the game entered the final minute Newbridge were again on the attack. Winger Joe Murphy made a short run but was held up just short of the try line. He released the ball to substitute Sean Treacy who touched down under the posts. Garrett Brewer added the points to leave the fulltime score Newbridge 43 Athboy 15. Newbridge, well lead by captain Niall O’Connor, travel to New Ross next Sunday, 4th October, to play their next league match. Kick off again will be at 2.30pm.

After the game a big crowd gathered in the Rosetown clubhouse to watch Ireland’s World Cup match against Romania. There was a great buzz around Rosetown adding to the memories of the many who had attended the Old Kilcullen Reunion. An enjoyable and successful day for all.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Dave Mullens, 14. Joe Murphy, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Gary Maguire, 11. David Hobbs, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Niall O’Connor (C), 7. Niall Duggan, 6. Colin O’Brien, 5. Ciaran O’Rourke, 4. Terry Donnelly, 3. Matt Duggan, 2. Andrew Downes, 1. Aidan Healy
Replacements :-
16.Oisin Larkin, 17. Colm Dunning, 18. John Hamilton, 19. Sean Tracey, 20. Paddy Corbett

9th October, 2015 - Newbridge Lose Under Lights

Railway Union  30       Newbridge  5

This was a match played under lights on Friday night.  In the first half Newbridge were well in the game. Railway Union were awarded two kickable penalties, one from 30 yards out after 15 minutes and the other after 25 minutes. The latter when the referee deemed that Denis O’Callaghan in the centre had late tackled.   This left them 6 points ahead. But it was Newbridge who got the score of the match when fullback Dave Mullins collected a ball 30 yards out from his own line and beat several tackles before passing to his supporting player winger Mark Delaney to cross for a fine try after 31 minutes.  In the 35th minutes Railway Union were awarded a very controversial try following a knock on and a forward pass. Newbridge missed two long range penalties to leave it at 13 points to 5 at the break.

In the second half as the match wore on Newbridge were denied a number of advantages at crucial times which raised their level of frustration. Two further yellow cards from the referee compounded events. Railway Union converted a try in the 51st minute followed by a close in 
penalty. Later in the 74th minute they followed it up with another try and conversion. Overall Railway Union were much quicker to the breakdown and got a number of turnovers. Their centres in particular took the match to Newbridge in the second half.  Newbridge however, dominated the lineout through John Hamilton and Ronan Mangan.
Newbridge 1st XV :-

Aidan Healy, Matt Duggan, Ciaran O’Rourke, Terry Donnelly, John Hamilton, Niall Duggan, Niall O’Connor (Capt), Ronan Mangan, Graham Barry, Garrett Brewer, Sean Tracey, Nathan Voltan, Denis O’Callaghan, Mark Delaney.

Replacements :- Dave Morgan, Mark Doyle, Brendan Tierney, Aidan Downes, Joe Murphy, Dan Hill. 

Seconds Fixture:   Railway Union 24     Newbridge  5

This Seconds fixture saw Newbridge give plenty of trust and effort.  Turning over at 7 points too nil down at half time the match was still to play for. Railway were quicker to the breakdown and from a steal in the lineout they scored and converted. With a forwards drive from a maul they again scored a try and a conversion.  Newbridge did not give up and scored a good try from their fullback. Railway scored a late penalty from under the posts. 

Sunday 8th November, 2015 - Newbridge lose away to league leaders

Portarlington  25 pts    v    Newbridge 11 pts

Newbridge travelled to Leinster League Division 2A leaders, Portarlington, last Sunday 8th November but couldn’t over turn their recent form losing by 4 tries to one. Portarlington, who gained a try bonus point, remain unbeaten in the league this season, whilst Newbridge, with two early wins, lie fifth.

The heavy persistent rain earlier in the day cleared shortly after kick off but the game was played with a helpful wind blowing from the west. Newbridge were the first to have the wind and the low sun in their favour and these they made reasonable use of for much of the first half. In the opening 15 minutes two successful Donal Cashman penalties gave the visitors a six point lead. During this period Newbridge’s captain Niall O’Connor limped off to be replaced at No8 by Mark Doyle. Then, just before the 20 minute mark, Newbridge turned over an attacking ball near Portarlington’s 22. The home team quickly reacted and with some weak tackling Portarlington got their first try. A difficult conversion was missed to leave Newbridge 1 point ahead.

Newbridge competed well with Portarlington in the loose, scrums and linesout but as the half progressed there were signs that the home, team when they had the elements, would be difficult to hold. Newbridge’s cause was helped when, just before half time, No10 Garrett Brewer scored an excellent try out wide. The missed conversion gave the visitors a 6 point lead at the break.

 The home side took a stranglehold on the game during the third quarter helped by Newbridge conceding too many penalties, mainly at the scrum and the offside line. Missed tackles helped to compound the situation. During this period Portarlington scored two tries, one converted, and kicked a penalty to take a 20 points to 11 lead. Newbridge rallied during the last quarter making a number of incursions into the Portarlington 22  but to no avail. Then, in the last play of the match, Portarlington turned over a ruck on Newbridge’s 22 to score their fourth bonus point try. The missed conversion left a final score of Portarlington 25 Newbridge 11.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Dave Mullins, 14. Mark Delaney, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Denis Clarke, 11. Donal Cashman, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Graham Barry, 8. Niall O’Connor (C), 7. Cormac Nugent, 6. Niall Duggan (C), 5. Brian Furey, 4. Killian O’Hagan, 3. Matt Duggan, 2. Dave Morgan, 1. Aidan Healy
Replacements :- 16. Andrew Downes, 17. Terry Donnelly, 18. Stephen Rigney, 19. Mark Doyle, 20. Dan Hill

Sunday 10th January, 2016 - Newbridge lose to Railway Union in Div 2A

Newbridge  8     Railway Union  17

In their latest Leinster League Division 2A match Newbridge were beaten by the more expansive and adventurous running of Railway Union. It was however a dogged match with no quarter given. Despite the heavy conditions the condition of the playing surface was first class on the day.

Newbridge started the brighter of the teams. In the 4th minute we saw a superb run from outhalf Garret Brewer who gathered a loose ball in his own half to beat a number of tackles and to round it off with a score in the corner. Fullback Donal Cashman was narrowly wide with the kick. Newbridge sought to use the wind but were erratic with some of their kicking on a number of occasions. Railway began to get into the match now and on 15 minutes converted a penalty in front of the posts and 15 metres out. The Newbridge pack took the game by the scruff of the neck now and were very unlucky not to score as wing forward Niall O’Connor got over on 23 minutes but was adjudged by the referee to have knocked on. Shortly after another Newbridge attack saw ferocious driving pressure close to the Railway Union line but to no avail. A good distribution of the ball saw the Railway Union winger get in for a well taken try and conversion in the 26th minute to leave it at 5 points to 10 at half time.

Railway Union were quickest out of the blocks in the second half and with just 4 minutes gone when they scored close to the posts with the conversion to follow. On 56 minutes Newbridge intercepted close to their own line but were caught in the chase at the far end. The resulting penalty from Donal Cashman narrowed the gap. After 68 minute, as tensions rose, two Newbridge players and one from Railway were sin binned from the same incident resulting in uncontested scrums for the next 10 minutes. Despite plenty of effort from both sides the score remained at 8 points to 17.

Best for Newbridge were wing forward Cormac Nugent and second row Ronan Mangan. In the backs Donal Cashman at fullback and Denis Clarke in the centre were very committed. Newbridge remain in fifth place in the league but are in a fight with New Ross and Edenderry to avoid a seventh place finish by the season’s end.

Newbridge 1st XV :- 1. Matt Duggan, 2. Niall Duggan, 3. Pat Commane, 4. Ciaran O’Rourke, 5. Ronan Mangan, 6. Cormac Nugent, 7. Niall O’Connor (Capt), 8. Mark Doyle, 9. Mark Delaney, 10. Garret Brewer, 11.Liam McGowan, 12. Denis O’Callaghan, 13, Denis Clarke, 14. Stephen Cooke, 15. Donal Cashman.

Substitutes :- 16. Andrew Downes, 17. Killian O’Hagan, 18. Stephen Rigney, 19. Gary Maguire, 20. Dave Mullins.

Sunday 10th January, 2016 – Bonus Point League Win for Newbridge 2nd XV

Newbridge  29      Railway Union  13

Newbridge gained a surprising but well deserved bonus point victory in their league match with Railway Union. Newbridge scored a total of five tries. These came from Fergal Doyle converted by Dan Hill with two tries each coming from Pat Lawlor and Kieran Miller. Graham Barry added a second convertion Great credit is due to all those involved in developing a large 2nd XV player pool with a number of new and returning players who are all very welcome. It is also great to have the reassuring presence of Connie McNamara back on board as 2nd XV Team Manager.
Newbridge 2nd XV :- Pat Lawlor, Andrew Downes, Oisin Larkin, Stuart Kehoe, Craig Kirwan, Paul Passmore, Alan O’Connor, Killian O’Hagan, Dan Hill, Graham Barry, Patrick Corbett, Colin Dempsey, Graham Burns, Kevin Miller, Fergal Doyle.

Substitutes :- Liam Dempsey, Colm Dunning, Michael Dunne, Jordan Hobbs, Declan Barrett. 


courtesy of

Eamon Timmins

For photos and match reports from last season CLICK HERE to visit our archives section or follow the link  >>>>

Sunday 14th February 2016 - Leinster Provincial Seconds Towns Cup

Naas  41   Newbridge  20

A good open game played in the best of spirit by both sides saw the more structured Naas side overcome Newbridge particularly with their first half performance. Newbridge suffered injuries to prop Pat Lawlor and wing forward Alan O’Connor but never gave up in a game that was well refereed. Dan Van Zyl playing the first half for Naas controlled the game. Newbridge were first off the mark in the 14th minute with a close in penalty from scrumhalf Dan Hill. Naas replied with a penalty from left winger John O’Brien in the 18th minute. Geoff Delaney on the right wing outpaced the Newbridge backs for a try in the 21st minute. He was again on hand in the 33rd minute to score which O’Brien converted. John Jennings for Naas playing at fullback scored in the 40th minute with O’Brien converting to leave it at 22 points to 3 at the break.

The second period was much more even. Heverin scored a good try for Naas in the 45th minute with O’Brien converting. Oisin Larkin at hooker for Newbridge then got the first of his hat trick of tries in the 47th minute which Dan Hill converted. Larkin was again over for another try in the 51st minute before Naas got back into it with a good score from John Walters with John Jennings converting. On 76 minutes Larkin was again on hand for Newbridge with a well taken try. Skelly for Naas rounded off the match right on full time.

Best for Naas were Van Zyl at outhalf before being replaced at half time and Geoff Delaney on the wing.  Newbridge were well served by Graham Barry at outhalf and Jordan Hobbs at full back while Oisin Larkin, Brendan Tiernan at No.8 and Richard Berney in the second row all did well.
Newbridge 2nd XV :- Pat Lawlor, Oisin Larkin, Andrew Downes, Killian O’Hagan, Richard Berney, Alan O’Connor, Stephen Rigney, Brendan Tiernan, Dan Hill, Graham Barry, Patrick Corbett, Cian Dempsey, Garry Maguire, Kevin Miller, Jordan Hobbs.

Substitutes :- Paul Passmore, Stuart Keogh, Eoin Carey, Mick Dunne, Joe Murphy, Tom O’Donoghue, Ross Martin

4th October, 2015 - Newbridge get an away win in New Ross

New Ross   8 pts    v    Newbridge  11 pts

Newbridge travelled to New Ross last Sunday 4th October and came away with a hard fought win in their Leinster League Division 2A match. Overall this was a poor quality game with many mistakes from both teams. The win leaves Newbridge in third place in the league on 9 points, one point behind the two leaders Railway Union and Portarlington.

After a number of early attacking moves from both teams that had broken down due to handling errors, New Ross were pressing inside the visitor’s half. The ball was turned over and gathered by No10 Garrett Brewer who set off on his trade mark strong run, beating a number of defenders, before touching down close to the corner flag for the opening try. The difficult conversion was missed. The game continued to and fro with no side able to settle into a pattern. Newbridge conceded two kickable penalties but fortunately for them both were missed by different New Ross kickers.

On the half hour mark Newbridge stole a strike against the head on New Ross’s 5 metre line after great work by Matt Duggan. No 8 Ronan Mangan picked up at the base of the scrum to drive over the line only to be held up. From the resulting scrum Newbridge again drove forward only to loose control of the ball allowing New Ross to clear down field into the visitors 22. This play typified the erratic performance by Newbridge. Deep into added time at the end of the first half Newbridge were awarded a kickable penalty from a scrum which No15 Dave Mullins converted to give a them an 8 point lead at the break.

Newbridge showed some good flashes in the second half but poor handling and discipline kept giving the initiative back to New Ross. The visitors stretched their lead to 11 with a second Mullins penalty. New Ross got their first score, a penalty, on the 60 minute mark. An unconverted New Ross try 5 minutes later set up a tense final phase to the match. After a frantic last 10 minutes the referee blew his whistle to the relief of both the Newbridge players and their small band of travelling supporters. Two wins from two is a good start to this season’s league campaign.

On Friday 9th October Newbridge travel to league leaders Railway Union. This match kicks off at 8pm with the 2nds match scheduled to start at the earlier time of 6.30pm. On Sunday 11th October the Ireland v France Rugby World Cup match is being shown in the Newbridge clubhouse at Rosetown on their new giant TV screen. Everyone is very welcome. Match kick off is at 4.45pm. Come early to get a good seat.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Dave Mullins, 14. Joe Murphy, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Sean Tracey, 11. Dan Hill, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Ronan Mangan, 7. Niall O’Connor (C), 6. Niall Duggan, 5. John Hamilton, 4. Ciaran O’Rourke, 3. Matt Duggan, 2. Andrew Downes, 1. Dave Morgan
Replacements used :- 16. Aidan Healy, 17. Terry Donnelly, 19. Gary Maguire

Sunday 28th February, 2016 - Leinster League Division 2A

Edenderry  14   Newbridge  53

Newbridge were fully charged up for this vital league game. A win and they were safe; a loss and it would be a major task at home next Sunday game against leaders Portlaoise. Edenderry had previously drawn the game in Newbridge so league positions were now vital. Newbridge, however, were committed from the off and tore into the Edenderry pack. In all they scored 9 tries with 4 converted to 2 converted tries for Edenderry.  As the game wore on Newbridge dominated both lineout and scrums and were very committed to the tackle. They never let up and fully exerted all the pressure on the opposition for the full 80 minutes.

In just 4 minutes fullback Donal Cashman got over for a try after a good break from outhalf Garret Brewer. After 11 minutes centre Denis O’Callaghan got the first of his 3 tries after some great rucking. In the 31st minute prop Matt Duggan got in for his first try which Cashman converted.  In the 37th minute O’Callaghan was again on hand to get the score of the match after winger Stephens Cooke raced along the wing and gave him a delightful inside pass to leave the score at the break at 22 points to nil.

There was no let-up in the second period when wing forward Cormac Nugent got over for a try in the 48th minute. Sterling prop Pat Commane was now injured and was replaced by Oisin Larkin. Edenderry got some traction when their fullback Willie Groom scored two converted tries in the 55th and 65th minutes. However, Newbridge scored from scrumhalf Mark Delaney in the 62nd minute after a very good jinking run from Gary Maguire. Cashman converted. O’Callaghan was again on hand in the 69th minute for a try after he burst through the defence. Prop Matt Duggan scored his second try in the 73rd minute which Cashman converted. Hooker Oisin Larkin got over for his try after a great driving maul by the pack. Cashman converted.

Outstanding for Newbridge were Ronan Mangan in the second row and Rory McCann at No. 8. Cormac Nugent was superb in the lineout and at the breakdown. Niall Duggan at hooker and Ciaran O’Rourke were stalwarts in broken play. Centre Denis O’Callaghan did well as did his fellow centre Denis Clarke whose strength on the ball did a lot of damage to Edenderry.    

Newbridge 1st XV :- Matt Duggan, Niall Duggan, Pat Commane, Ciaran O’Rourke, Ronan Mangan, Cormac Nugent, Niall O’Connor (Capt), Rory McCann, Mark Delaney, Garret Brewer, Denis O’Callaghan, Denis Clarke, Stephen Cooke, Gary Maguire, Donal Cashman.

Substitutes :- Oisin Larkin, Adam Bingham, Kevin Miller.

Sunday 31st January, 2016 - Narrow ​Loss in Leinster Provincial Towns Cup

Newbridge  10     Clondalkin  16

Clondalkin, operating at 2 league divisions above Newbridge, will feel very happy to have shaded this tough cup game. Newbridge played with the wind in the first half but it was Clondalkin who edged it at 10 points to 3 at the break. However, it was a stern and dogged performance from Newbridge, into the teeth of the strengthening wind, that nearly turned the match.

Newbridge should have opened the scoring in the 7th minute when fullback Donal Cashman was narrowly wide with a penalty from 30 yards. There were periods of pressure from both sides as the next 23 minutes yielded no additional score. Clondalkin now looked the stronger particularly in the scrum.  They got over for a try from their fullback in the 30th minute. In the 38th minute, following a quick tap from a Clondalkin penalty, where the taker dropped the ball, Clondalkin drove over for a dubious try from a close in lineout.  Newbridge were quickly back with a 35 metre penalty from Cashman in the 41st minute to leave it at 3 points to 10 at the break.

Playing with the strengthening wind, Clondalkin were on the score board again with a penalty in the 45th minute from in front of the posts. Newbridge now picked up their performance and took the match to Clondalkin for the remainder of the game. A great run from outhalf Garret Brewer with an inside pass to winger Liam McGovern saw him held up just short of the line. With a shake-up of the Newbridge scrum Terry Donnelly now replaced Pat Commane and the match saw a dramatic score in the 63rd minute from Captain Niall O’Connor who collected a loose ball on the half way line and crossed for a well taken try.  Cashman converted. With just 3 points in it now the game was played in the Clondalkin 22 metre area.  Clondalkin were happy to relieve the pressure in the 76th minute with a penalty to see out the match.

Best for Newbridge were Denis Clarke in the centre and Stephen Cooke on the wing. In the forwards Niall O’Connor put in a good shift at wing forward as did Cormac Nugent on the other side of the scrum and Ciaran O’Rourke in the second row and later at prop.
Newbridge 1st XV :- 1. Matt Duggan, 2. Niall Duggan, 3. Pat Commane, 4. Lar Jones, 5. Ciaran O’Rourke, 6. Niall O’Connor (Capt), 7. Cormac Nugent, 8. Mark Doyle, 9. Mark Delaney, 10. Garret Brewer, 11. Liam McGovern, 12. Denis Clarke, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 14. Stephen Cooke, 

15. Donal Cashman.

Subtitutes used :- 18. Terry Donnelly for Pat Commane.

Sunday 17th January, 2016 - Newbridge Draw Away at Co. Carlow

Co Carlow  24     Newbridge  24

In their latest Leinster League Division 2A match Newbridge travelled to 3rd placed Co Carlow RFC. Newbridge were the more enterprising and committed side throughout with Carlow dominating the scrums. This was a game full of character from both sides. Carlow started as favourites, having previously won in Newbridge by 18 points to 30. However, the conditions in Carlow were arctic with a strong down pitch wind and the weather being very wet and cold.
Carlow were first off the mark with a penalty after 3 minutes. This was quickly followed by an unconverted try on 10 minutes and now Carlow were well on top. After 15 minutes fullback Donal Cashman missed an opportunity with a penalty kick from 29 yards. Newbridge were playing with a strong breeze and they used it to good effect. Cashman was on hand to kick penalties in the 24th and 27th minutes to reduce the deficit. Outhalf Garret Brewer made a classic break in the 36th minute to score a good try under the posts which Cashman converted. Cashman was again on hand in the 40th minute with a 30 metre penalty to leave the visitors 8 points ahead at half time.

Newbridge were now up against the wind and the driving rain but were quick off the mark in the 43rd minute when winger Stephen Cooke crossed over for a try after being put in by No. 8 Mark Doyle who had collected a perfectly judged cross field kick from Brewer.  At 8 points to 21 Carlow had much to do now but in the 45th minute they converted a penalty followed by a converted try on 49 minutes. Carlow levelled the game in the 63rd minute with a 30 yard penalty. On 67 minutes Newbridge were just short with a long range penalty into the wind but following a Newbridge knock on they converted the resulting scrum penalty from under the posts. On 71 minutes Carlow drew level again with a penalty in front of the posts. Newbridge were never overawed and pressed onto the Carlow line in the final minutes but the home team held out.

Outstanding for Newbridge was scrumhalf Mark Delaney who was under pressure behind a retreating pack through much of the match while Ronan Mangan in the second row did well also. Cormac Nugent at wing forward was excellent as was winger Stephen Cooke. Newbridge remain in fifth place in the league but only one point ahead of New Ross and Edenderry in the fight to avoid possible relegation.

Newbridge 1st XV :- 1. Aidan Healey, 2. Niall Duggan, 3. Pat Commane, 4. Lars Jones, 5. Ronan Mangan, 6. Cormac Nugent, 7. Niall O’Connor (Capt), 8. Mark Doyle, 9. Mark Delaney, 10. Garret Brewer, 11.Dave Mullins, 12. Denis O’Callaghan, 13, Denis Clarke, 14. Stephen Cooke, 15. Donal Cashman.

Substitutes :- 16. Pat Lawler, 17. Terry Donnelly, 18. Liam McGovern, 19. Gary Maguire, 20. Graham barry.

Sunday 17th January, 2016 – Newbridge 2nd XV Lose at Co Carlow

Co Carlow  20      Newbridge  0

Leading 13 to nil at half time, Co Carlow 2nd XV had the benefit of a strong wind. Newbridge challenged strongly throughout the second half but, despite dominating both possession and territory, much in Carlow's 22, the visitors were unable to finish off a number of scoring opportunities. As Newbridge tired in the increasingly difficult conditions Carlow scored again with 4 minutes to go to kill off the Newbridge challenge.
Newbridge 2nd XV :- Pat Lawlor, Conor Whelan, Paul Lawlor, Stuart Kehoe, Killian O’Hagan, Adam Bingham, Alan O’Connor, Terry Donnelly, Dan Hill, Jordan Hobbs, Michael Dunne, Cein Dempsey, Joseph Murphy, Kevin Miller, Patrick Corbett.

Substitutes :- Ger O’Connor, Craig Kirwan, Paul Passmore, Tony O’Donoghue, Philip McNulty Declan Barrett

Seniors News - Archives 2015 / 2016

Sunday 6th December, 2015 - Newbridge’s Six Try Win Away to Athboy

Athboy  3       Newbridge  46

Newbridge had all the commitment of a team that wanted to progress from their 5th place in the Division 2A Leinster League. From the very start their pack out rucked and out scrummaged the opposition while the backline got plenty of good ball which they put to good use.

From the start it was Athboy who had the territory but they missed an early penalty for the lead. In the 9th minute Paddy Corbett on the wing got in for a try after being set up by a good driving maul from the pack. Fullback Donal Cashman, who later scored a total of 16 points, missed the touchline conversion. However he was on hand in the 14th minute to kick a close in penalty after Athboy went offside at the ruck. Athboy’s only score came in the 17th minute with a 25 metre penalty. In the 21st minute following a good lineout take Newbridge’s pack drove on over the 22 metre line and into the in goal area for prop Matt Duggan to get his first try. Cashman converted. In the 28th minute second row Rory McCann showed the opposition a clean pair of heels running in from 35 metres to score a good try which Cashman converted. Cashman added a further penalty in the 32nd minute to leave the half time score at 3 pts to 25.

In the second half Rory McCann got over for the important bonus point score in the 49th minute following a good ruck and drive. Cashman converted. In the 68th minute Matt Duggan was on hand again after a good lineout and drive to touch down.  Cashman again converted. Athboy now had their best 8 minutes of the game as they applied plenty of pressure to Newbridge close to their goal line.  However solid tackling saw Newbridge through this patch to score again in the 76th minute with scrum half Mark Delaney running 40 metres to score near the posts. Cashman again converted.

Newbridge’s performance was at a much higher level than in recent weeks. They were well served by Cormac Nugent at wing forward and Mark Doyle at No. 8.  Denis O’Callaghan in the centre carried the ball well. The half backs of Mark Delaney and Graham Barry were a good combination but the man of the match must go to Denis Clarke whose cut and trust in the centre brought great gain line success.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Donal Cashman, 14. Paddy Corbett, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Denis Clarke, 11. Liam McGowan, 10. Graham Barry, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Mark Doyle, 7. Stephen Rigney, 6. Cormac Nugent, 5. Rory McCann, 4. Liam Heavey, 3. Ciaran O'Rourke, 2. Niall Duggan, 1. Matt Duggan.
Substitutions :-  Cillian O’Hagan, Niall O'Connor, Garret Brewer, Mike Dunne.

Sunday 24th January, 2016 - Vital Bonus Point Home Win for Newbridge

Newbridge  62     Portarlington   30

This was a most entertaining game full of high scoring, great endeavour, determination and a great winning desire on the part of Newbridge. Newbridge certainly built on the commitment shown last week scoring 8 tries, 5 conversions and 4 penalties but at the same time conceding 4 tries in the process.

Newbridge initially played into a cross field wind but were quickly on the scoreboard with 2 penalties from fullback Donal Cashman. On 22 minutes Portarlington got their first penalty. On 26 minutes after a superb run through the defence by outhalf Garett Brewer winger Liam McGovern was on hand for the touchdown.  Brewer was on hand again on 32 minutes with a blistering run from the half way line to score under the posts. Cashman converted. Portarlington, who had won the previous league encounter by 25 points to 11, converted a penalty on 36 minutes. From a 5 meter lineout hooker Niall Duggan was on hand to get the touchdown from a forwards pushover. His brother Matt was on hand in the 40th minute to get a try near the posts which Cashman converted to leave the half time score at 30 points to 6.

Cashman converted a penalty on 50 minutes while both teams had a player sin binned. Portarlington scored a try on 55 minutes but this was quickly followed by a good try from scrum half Mark Delaney which Cashman converted. Matt Duggan was on hand on 64 minutes to get another try. Portarlington came with a late run to score tries in the 68 and 73 minutes which were both converted. Cashman kicked another Newbridge penalty in the meantime.  Portarlington had a second yellow card and a red for their scrumhalf on 76 minutes. Substitute winger Gary Maguire was put in for a try in the 76th minute which was converted by Cashman. Portarlington scored their final try in the 78th minute. Liam McGovern got his second try on 79 minutes which was converted by Cashman.

Best for Newbridge were Denis O’Callaghan in the centre, fullback Donal Cashman with 22 points and Garret Brewer at outhalf. In the forwards the Duggan brothers at tight head prop and at hooker gave a tremendous performance.

Newbridge 1st XV :- 1. Matt Duggan, 2. Niall Duggan, 3. Pat Commane, 4. Lar Jones, 5. Ronan Mangan, 6. Niall O’Connor (Capt), 7. Cormac Nugent, 8. Mark Doyle, 9. Mark Delaney, 10. Garret Brewer, 11. Stephen Cooke, 12. Denis Clarke, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 14. Liam McGovern, 15. Donal Cashman

Substitutes :- Gary Maguire, Ciaran O’Rourke, Cein Dempsey, Andrew Dunne, Stephen Rigney

Sunday 29th November, 2015 - Newbridge lose away to league leaders

Portlaoise 9 pts    v    Newbridge 6 pts

On Sunday 29th November Newbridge travelled to Portlaoise to play their latest Leinster League Division 2A match and came away with a losing bonus point after a narrow 9 points to 6 defeat. Portlaoise are now top of the league after their win whilst Newbridge remain in 5th place.

On a very wet and extremely windy afternoon Portlaoise opted to play with the elements which were blowing almost directly down field. From the kick off the conditions enabled the home team to pin Newbridge inside their 22. However, with robust defending, Newbridge managed to deny Portlaoise. Fortunately for the visitors, after 7 minutes Portlaoise failed with a penalty kick about 30 meters out and 20 to the left of the posts. Newbridge rucked and battled their way up the field to inside Portlaoise’s 22 where they stayed for the next 8 minutes getting close to the line on a number of occasions, only to be denied by great defending by Portlaoise. Then a long relieving kick saw Portlaoise back in Newbridge’s 22 forcing another penalty which they converted to go 3 points ahead after 16 minutes. Shortly afterwards, after very similar play, Portlaoise converted a second penalty on the 22 metre line to stretch their lead to 6 points. After some fine rucking, handling and running it was Newbridge’s turn to put pressure on Portlaoise. After 25 minutes the home side conceded a penalty but this was missed by Newbridge. Portlaoise rucked and mauled their way back into the Newbridge half but their strong defence, complimented by very good scrumaging, meant there was no further scoring in the half and the teams turned around at Portlaoise 6pts Newbridge Nil.

Newbridge, with the wind in the second half, put Portlaoise under pressure. On a number of occasions much ground was made by centres Denis Clarke and Denis O’Callaghan supported by forwards Mark Doyle, Cormac Nugent and Stephen Rigney. Then after 60 minutes Portlaoise were caught offside in a ruck on their 22. This gave Newbridge’s Donal Cashman a kick to finally put Newbridge on the score board narrowing Portlaoise’s lead to 3 points.
However Portlaoise battled back up the field and on 65 minutes were awarded a penalty after Newbridge handled in a ruck on their 22. The successful kick again stretched the lead to 6. Newbridge raised their game and, using the wind put in a number of well placed kicks, pinned Portlaoise back into their half for the remainder of the game. The pressure paid off after 75 minutes when Portlaoise were caught on the wrong side of a ruck on their 22. Donal Cashman again added the points making the gap now 3. Then in the 80th minute Newbridge had the chance to level the score with another penalty but this time Cashman was unsuccessful leaving the score at the final whistle Portlaoise 9 to Newbridge 6.

Newbridge had the ability and the chances to have won this match and will be disappointed to have let it slip through their hands. However they should take encouragement and motivation from the continued improvement continuation in their play. Next Sunday, 6th December, Newbridge 1st XV travel to Athboy as they start the second half of the league. Kick off is at 2pm. On the same day Newbridge 2nd XV travel to Athy with a 12:30pm kick off.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Dave Mullins, 14. Donal Cashman, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Denis Clarke, 11. Liam McGovern, 10. Graham Barry, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Mark Doyle, 7. Stephen Rigney, 6. Cormac Nugent, 5. Rory McCann, 4. Terry Donnelly, 3. Ciaran O'Rourke, 2. Niall Duggan, 1. Matt Duggan.
Substitutions :-  Andrew Downes, Dave Morgan, Niall O'Connor, Patrick Corbett, Mike Dunne.

Saturday 12th December, 2015 - Newbridge lose in extra time

Newbridge  17     New Ross  22

Leading by 2 points into the sixth minute of injury time Newbridge conceded a match winning try and conversion. Newbridge were the more enterprising team throughout but it was the speed of New Ross backs that won this match. Newbridge were on the New Ross line on four occasions in this match but could not convert the pressure into a try.

The New Ross winger showed signs of the speed of their attack in the first minute of the game but was pulled down just short of the line. After 10 minutes it was the more attacking Newbridge backs that got the first score when outhalf Garret Brewer placed a deft kick for winger Dave Mullins to catch and score in the corner. On 18 minutes New Ross missed an easy penalty after some good rucking. Three minutes later Newbridge moved further ahead with a 35 metre penalty from fullback Donal Cashman. New Ross pulled a penalty back on 31 minutes to leave it at 8 points to 3 in favour of Newbridge at the break.

It was New Ross who started the second period with a flourish. They scored a good try from their own 30 metre line in the 42nd minute. Newbridge went ahead again with a penalty from Cashman. Outhalf Brewer had a kick blocked down in the 47th minute for New Ross to score an against the grain try and conversion to leave it at 11 – 15.  Back came Newbridge again with a Cashman penalty after great close in pressure.  Cashman was again on hand in the 76th minute with a penalty after more pressure under the posts. At 17 points to 15 ahead it looked like Newbridge’s but alas New Ross scored a try and conversion in the sixth minute of injury time. Best for Newbridge were Cormac Nugent at wing forward and Dave Mullins on the wing.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Donal Cashman, 14. Dave Mullins, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Graham Barry, 11. Liam McGowan, 10. Garret Brewer, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Mark Doyle, 7. Stephen Rigney, 6. Cormac Nugent, 5. Rory McCann, 4. Liam Heavey, 3. Ciaran O'Rourke, 2. Niall Duggan, 1. Matt Duggan
Substitutions :-  Niall O'Connor, Brian Furey

Friday 19th February, 2016 - Western Mustangs welcomed to Rosetown

Newbridge Senior Squad 19      Western Mustangs  20

On Friday evening, 19th February, Newbridge welcomed to Rosetown Canadian touring side from the University of Western Ontario which is in London, Ontario. This was the 4th in a 5 match Irish tour. The University sports teams are called​ "The Mustangs". You can find more about this team by going to this  link :- http://www.westernmustangs.ca/index.aspx?path=mrugby.

Played by the two teams in two very contrasting styles, this was a good game to watch. Our visitors were reflective of their student age in that they played open fast rugby while Newbridge endeavoured to keep the pace of the match to our strengths.

In this match, from open play, the Mustangs kicked the ball just twice, which tells you of their intent. Scoreless for the first quarter it was in the 24th minute, after a good forwards drive, that the Mustang’s wing forward got over for a try which their fullback converted. Newbridge added in guest player Eoin Walsh after 30 minutes. On 33 minutes Cormac Nugent crossed for a well taken try which Donal Cashman converted. The half was rounded off with a penalty from Mustangs to leave it at 7 points to 10 at the break to the Canadian visitors.

Newbridge’s outhalf Garret Brewer now made a cautionary withdrawal with

an elbow injury. The Mustangs drew further ahead with a try from their tight

head prop. On 61 minutes, after Cashman produced a great spiral kick to

the corner from a penalty, Eoin Walsh touched down from the resulting

lineout. At 12 points to 15 it was all to play for until a Newbridge loose kick

was blocked down allowing the Mustangs to score a third try in the 71st

minute. Newbridge never gave up and in the 74th minute Walsh was again

on hand to drive over for a try which Cashman converted narrowing the gap

to one point.

Newbridge (starting XV) :- Pat Commane, Oisin Larkin, Matt Duggan,

Lar Jones, Ciaran O’Rourke, Stephen Rigney, Niall O’Connor (Capt),

Cormac Nugent, Mark Delaney, Garret Brewer, Gary Maguire, Denis Clarke,

Denis O’Callaghan, Stephen Cooke, Donal Cashman

Saturday 14th November, 2015 - Newbridge draw at home with Edenderry

Newbridge  13 pts    v    Edenderry 13 pts

Last Saturday evening, 14th November, Newbridge welcomed Edenderry to Rosetown to play their Leinster Leagues Division 2A matches under lights. The 1st XV match was originally scheduled to start at 5pm but the kick off was delayed until 6pm due to referee miss communication. Both Newbridge and Edenderry are gratefully to the referee allocated to the 2nd XV match, James O’Hara, for stepping up to take the 1st XVs and to Eamon Timmons for stepping in at very short notice to referee the later 2nd XV match.

The 1st XV match kicked off in very wet, if not cold, conditions with a strong wind blowing in favour of the visiting Edenderry team. Never the less it was the home side that made the livelier start and despite the adverse conditions tried to play open flowing rugby. Newbridge also had the edge in the loose play and slowly got on top in the scrums where the revised front row of the Duggan brothers and Ciaran O’Rourke was having a beneficial effect. The on field presence of the returning Rory McCann appeared to have raised the packs appetite for the game.

Despite Newbridge’s early dominance they didn’t get any points on the board until the 20th minute. Strong Newbridge defence in the middle of the field resulted in turn over ball that was quickly moved by impressive scrumhalf Mark delaney to outhalf Garrett Brewer. Brewer broke through a number of despairing Edenderry tackles to race clear and score near the corner. Donal Cashman was unable to overcome the strong wind and the conversion was missed. As the game moved past the half hour mark Edenderry were able to make a few incursions into Newbridge’s 22 and were rewarded with a converted penalty. With 37 minutes on the clock Brewer quickly took a tap penalty to outstrip the retreating Edenderry players to score close in to the post. Cashman, into the strong wind and driving rain, narrowly missed with the conversion. This left the half time score Newbridge 10 Edenderry 3.

Now with the wind and rain to their backs Newbridge started the second half as they had finished the first. The big difference was the loss of influential outhalf Brewer through injury. Already playing without first choice scrumhalf Graham Barry and centre Denis Clarke, Newbridge had to schuffle their backline. Substitute No8 Mark Doyle, who had come on half way through the first half for Stephen Rigney, was having a big impact around the field. However Newbridge increasingly were finding handling the slippery ball difficult as the challenging weather conditions continued. Their only score of the second half came after 50 minutes from a Cashman penalty. Edenderry, playing against the wind, had a more conservative forward based game plan, and, as the game worn on, started to take more territorial control. Doyle was yellow carded on 55 minutes for an early tackled after Edenderry took a quick penalty in Newbridge’s 22. The successful kick narrowed the lead to 7 points. Edenderry, taking advantage of the extra man, on 60 minutes, scored a try under the posts and the conversion brought the sides level.

Despite the best efforts of both teams there were no further scores, even though Newbridge got over the Edenderry line on a number of occasions the visitor’s defence held out. A challenging night for both teams at the end of which a draw seemed the right result. Thank you to the players and coaches from both clubs for putting on this titanic struggle in such challenging weather conditions. Thank you too to the few brave, but hardy, supporters who turned out to cheer their team.
Newbridge 1st XV :-

15. Donal Cashman, 14. Mark Delaney, 13. Dave Mullins, 12. Denis O’Callaghan, 11. Mike Dunne, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Dan Hill, 8. Niall O’Connor (C), 7. Stephen Rigney, 6. Cormac Nugent, 5. Rory McCann, 4. Terry Donnelly, 3. Ciaran O’Rourke, 2. Niall Duggan, 1. Matt Duggan
Replacements :- 16. Andrew Downes, 17. Killian O’Hagan, 18. Mark Doyle, 19. Brian Furey, 20. Paddy Corbett

Saturday 14th November, 2015 - Leinster Seconds League Division 2A

Newbridge 5 pts    v    Edenderry 34 pts

Newbridge 2nd XV fielded a depleted team due in part to the first team injuries, the use of some substitutes for much of the earlier 1st XV match and a number of unavailable 1st XV players. Despite having only 13 players and playing in the unrelenting driving rain, Newbridge put up a strong and brave performance. In fact the final score hide the fact that Newbridge had played the better rugby for much of the game. However eventually the numbers and the conditions took their toll and the score gates opened for Edenderry. Never the less an encouraging performance from many young players which hopefully, over the upcoming matches, can be built on.

Saturday 31st October, 2015 - Newbridge lose at home to Co Carlow

Newbridge  18 pts    v    Co Carlow  30 pts

Newbridge, playing in changed white jerseys, welcomed Co Carlow to Rosetown on Saturday 31st October for a Leinster League Division 2A game. On a warm sunny afternoon, perfect for running rugby, the crowd were well entertained with 6 tries scored. However it was the visitors who went away happy with a 5 point win including a try bonus.

Newbridge started well and dominated most of the play in the opening quarter. They could have had 3 early tries having set up scoring chances with good passing combined with break making. However, lack of precision with the last pass, lead to loss of possession at key moments. Newbridge did take the lead after 8 minutes with a penalty from fullback Donal Cashman. This was to be their only score for all of this early pressure and worse was to follow in the period with the loss of No8 Mangan and hooker Larkin.

Co Carlow came increasing into the game as their pack got on top of Newbridge in the scrum and continued to force turn overs. After half an hour, Carlow scored two quick penalties followed by a converted try to give them a clear lead. Just before half time Newbridge’s Cashman converted a second penalty to see the teams turn round at Newbridge 6  Co Carlow 13.

Newbridge started the second half well with the scrum functioning better, but the reverse happen to their lineout with a number of key line outs being lost. Carlow continued to win good turnover ball with their pack looking more hungry for the win and confident in their ability. It was nearly 15 minutes into the second half before Carlow scored their second try from a 5 metre scrum. The conversion gave them a 20 points to 6 lead. Newbridge suffered a further blow when outhalf Garrett Brewer limped off.

Co Carlow added a third try after the half hour mark, not converted, to take their score to 25 points. This came after a period of concerted Newbridge pressure broke down in the Carlow 22 and resulted in break out for the visitor’s flying winger to score. To their credit Newbridge kept trying and were rewarded with a great team try by substitute Mark Doyle which was converted by Cashman. However, their joy was short lived as Carlow responded immediately to score their fourth try and secure the try bonus point. Newbridge took the game back to Carlow and after some very good interpassing winger Stephen Cooke went in at the corner for the final score of the game to leave the final score Newbridge 18 Co Carlow 30.

Newbridge remain in 5th place in Division 2A but will have to improve for next Sunday’s visit to league leaders Portarlington. Kick off in Lea Road, Portarlington is at 2.30pm.

In an earlier match last Saturday Newbridge 2nd XV went down by 15 points to 28 against Co Carlow. Carlow winning the match with two late converted try after Newbridge had fought back into a 1 point lead having trailed by 14 points earlier in the match. This side continues to demonstrate improvement.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Donal Cashman, 14. Mark Delaney, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Denis Clarke, 11. Stephen Cooke, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Graham Barry,

8. Ronan Mangan, 7. Stephen Rigney, 6. Niall Duggan (C), 5. Ciaran O’Rourke, 4. Terry Donnelly, 3. Matt Duggan, 2. Oisin Larkin, 1. Dave Morgan
Replacements :- 16. Aidan Healy, 17. Brian Furey, 18. Niall O’Connor, 19. Brendan Tiernan, 20. Mark Doyle

Sunday 6th March, 2016 - Leinster League Division 2A

Newbridge  15   Portlaoise   22

​This was a game in which two very good teams produced the most entertaining rugby and showed the very best collective team effort. This was an end of season league game with Portlaoise looking for top spot and Newbridge playing their best rugby all season. It was a thrilling game with Portlaoise on top in the scrums early on and Newbridge shading the lineouts. In the end it was a tight win for Portlaoise gained by taking their scores at vital times. Newbridge applied most of the second half pressure but without the key go give them adequate return on the scoresheet.

Newbridge got off to an early start with outhalf Garret Brewer kicking them into the corner for a lineout. Winning the lineout they mauled the ball over the line for No8 Rory McCann to touchdown in the corner. On 8 minutes from a similar lineout at the other end of the pitch it was Portlaoise No8 Mark Sherlock who got over the try line. In the 32nd minute Portlaoise prop Ritchie Bond got the touchdown, following a close in lineout. This left Portlaoise leading at the break by 10 points to 5.

Newbridge applied virtually all the pressure in the second half and lived for long periods close to the Portlaoise line. A penalty try was awarded by the referee on 47 minutes after an off the ball Newbridge player was obstructed over the line. Donal Cashman at fullback for Newbridge converted. In the 52nd minute Portlaoise lifted the siege and after another close in lineout prop Ritchie Bond got over the line for his second try. Fullback John Scully converted for Portlaoise. At 12 points to 17 it was all to play for now but more Newbridge pressure failed to secure a score. In the 83rd minute No8 Mark Sherlock got over for his second and Portlaoise’s fourth try. In the 84th minute Donal Cashman converted a penalty for Newbridge to secure a bonus point.

American Garret Brewer at outhalf gave a very committed performance in this his last game for Newbridge as he now returns to his home rugby club in Sacramento. Also outstanding for Newbridge were Ronan Mangan in the second row while wing forward Cormac Nugent was superb in the lineout. Newbridge finished fifth in Division 2A of the Leinster League on 31 points whilst Portlaoise finished top.

Newbridge 1st XV :- 1. Pat Commane, 2. Niall Duggan, 3. Ciaran O’Rourke, 4. Lar Jones, 5. Ronan Mangan, 6. Niall O’Connor (Capt), 7. Cormac Nugent, 8. Rory McCann, 9. Mark Delaney, 10. Garret Brewer, 11. Gary Maguire, 12. Denis O’Callaghan, 13. Denis Clarke, 14. Dave Mullins, 15. Donal Cashman.
Substitutes :- Matt Duggan, Dave Hogan, Mark Doyle, Oisin Larkin, Paul Lawlor.

Sunday 3rd April, 2016 - 1st XV Lose in Plate Quarter Final

​After a very long delay from the end of the league and their last match, on Sunday 3rd April Newbridge 1st XV travelled with a weaked side to Longford for their Quarter Final match in Leinster's Provincial Towns Plate. However Newbridge were totally outplayed and lost comprehensively by 49 points to 5. This brings an end to the season for Newbridge Senior teams, a season where significant progress has been made and the slide down the leagues stopped with a well deserved 5th place in Division 2A. ​Well done to ALL involved with Newbridge's Senior. In particular to coaches Richie Larkin and Rory Geelon, manager Barry McCann and 2nd Team Manager Con McNamara.

Type your paragraph here.

Senior News

Saturday 2nd January, 2016 - Newbridge 1st XV Win Conlan Trophy

Newbridge narrowly won the Jon Conlan Memorial Trophy against Cill Dara on Saturday 2nd January. The match this year was played at Cill Dara's ground, Silken Thomas Park. The final score was Newbridge 24 points Cill Dara 21. 

Jon Conlan died of cancer in January 2009, aged just 29. Jon’s roots were firmly in Cill Dara Rugby club. Jon's grandfather was a founding member and his father and uncle were both players with the club. However, after he left Newbridge College, Jon joined Newbridge RFC along with his school friends. Soon after his tragic death, both clubs decided to commemorate Jon’s life by initiating an annual contest, the first of which was held in September 2009.