Sunday 26th April, 2015 - Newbridge 3rds LOOSE Spiers Semi

                      Portarlington   29  v  3   Newbridge

Yesterday, Sunday 26th April, Newbridge 3rd XV played Portarlington away 

in the Semi-Final of the North Midland Area J3 Spiers Cup. Unfortunately

Newbridge, playing only their third game  of the season, were no match

for their hosts loosing by 29 points to 3. ​Congratulations are due to all who

made it possible for our club to field at J3 level this season.

THANK  YOU all very much.

September, 2015 - Resurfaced Car Park & Entrance Roadway at Rosetown

September, 2015 - Rugby World Cup Last Man Standing Competition

Newbridge RFC is running a Rugby World Cup "Last Man Standing"competition to help fundraise for the club. We would really appreciate it if you could join in, you might even win the prize pot. It's €10 to join with €4.50 of that going to the prize pot so the more that join the bigger the prize. The prize pot is capped at €500.

Join now at :-

Saturday 12th September, 2015 - Newbridge defeat Portlaoise in Hosie Cup

Newbridge   29 pts    v    Portlaoise   12 pts

Last Saturday evening, 12th September, in Rosetown Newbridge 1st XV defeated Portlaoise by 29 points to 12 in the Hosie Cup Section B league. Newbridge now lie second in their section behind Portarlington. To qualify for the Semi-Finals Newbridge will need to defeat Athy next Sunday and hope that Portlaoise can defeat Portarlington. Newbridge scored five tries conceding two but it was their resolute defence, particularly during the second quarter of the first half, that laid the foundations for their victory.

Although there had been rain before the kick off for most of the match it held off, which was appreciated by players and spectators alike. Newbridge’s first try came after 20 minutes when tall outhalf Garrett Brewer broke through the visitors mid field defence to touch down near the posts. Garrett scored his second try after 35 minutes which, at the time, was very much against the run of play. Portlaoise forwards had owned the ball for about 10 minutes and were camped deep in Newbridge’s 22. However Newbridge held firm and when the ball was turned over it was cleared by Brewer down to Portlaoise’s 22. The clearance kick by Portlaoise went back to Brewer who went past the remaining defenders to score under the posts. Full back Dave Mullins converted  taking the home team’s score to 12 points. The first half finished with Portlaoise again on the attack but Newbridge held out for a half time lead of 12 points to Nil.

Newbridge and Garrett Brewer got their third try after 59 minutes with Dave Mullins adding a fourth after 65 to bring the lead for Newbridge to 22 points to Nil. However to their credit Portlaoise did not give up. After great work, particularly by their forwards, in the last 8 minutes they crossed for two quick tries, one converted. As the game went deep into injury time Newbridge sealed a well deserved victory with a converted try. The move started near the halfway when Joe Murphy fielded a long clearance kick. He quickly moved the ball right and after strong breaks by Stephen Cooke and Brewer substitute scrumhalf Mark Delaney touched down. Dave Mullins added the conversion points to leave the final score Newbridge 29 pts Portlaoise 12.

Overall a very satisfactory outing for Newbridge who next Sunday travel to The Showgrounds, Athy for their third and final Hosie Cup Section B match. Athy on Sunday 13th September lost by 32 pts to 5 at Portarlington.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Dave Mullins, 14. Joe Murphy, 13. Gary Maguire, 12. Ultan Osborne, 11. Mark Delaney, 10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Dan Hill, 8. Nathan Veltom,

7. Niall O’Connor (C), 6. Niall Duggan, 5. Terry Donnelly, 4. John Hamilton, 3. Ciaran O’Rourke, 2. Andrew Downes, 1. Matt Duggan
Replacements :- 16. Killian O’Hagan, 17. Adam Bingham, 18. Liam Heavey, 19. Stephen Cooke, 20. David Hobbs

Thanks to the initiative of Mick McCoy plus on the ground work of Tom and Sean Tracey the car park and entrance roadway at Rosetown now have a new improved surface. Well done for a great job and thank you to all involved.


The 2015 AGM of Newbridge RFC was held in Rosetown Clubhouse on Monday 18th May with an attendance of 34 members. The club’s President, Sean McCann said that, despite dropping to Leinster’s Division 2A, there is a huge positivity within the club with very strong Minis and Youth sections and the advent of a 3rd XV towards the seasons end is seen as a significant development. Also for the first time in many years we received more nominations to serve on the Executive Committee than there are official positions

The AGM confirmed Dave Ashe as the new Club President for the next two years with Mick McCoy voted in as the new Junior Vice President. Niall O’Connor was elected as Club Captain with Rory McCann taking on the role of Director of Rugby. Former Minis Co-ordinator, Enda Bohan, was elected Hon. Treasurer and the returning Fiona Nugent was elected as Hon. Secretary. Stephen Nugent continues into a third season as Club Chairman.

The club extends its grateful thanks and appreciation to all officers and executive members who stepped down this year including Graham Barry (Club Captain), Niall Browne (Senior Vice President), John O’Loghlen (Hon. Secretary), Rossa Mulcahy (Hon. Treasurer) and Ollie Delaney (Executive but he continues as the club’s Area Representative). Thanks are also extended to outgoing President, Sean McCann and to Mick McCoy who has carried out the role of Director of Rugby for many seasons.

The AGM voted that all eight Executive Committee nomination should serve on the committee. The members felt that to have an excess of nominations was very positive for the club and the additions members sould significantly aide its operation. It was agreed that the additional two members should be co-opted onto the Executive at its first meeting. This is permitted by the club’s Rules & Constitution. The AGM elected long standing club member Niall Kidd as a new Life Member. Stephen Nugent thanked him for everything that he has done for the Club over many years.

Club Officials for Season 2015 – 2016
President                              Dave Ashe
Senior Vice President          Sean McCann
Junior Vice President           Mick McCoy

Executive Committee
Chairman                               Stephen Nugent
Hon. Secretary                       Fiona Nugent
Hon. Treasurer                       Enda Bohan
Club Captain                          Niall O’Connor
Director of Rugby                   Rory McCann
Executive 1                             Mick McCoy
Executive 2                             Brian Spollen                                 Minis Co-Ordinator
Executive 3                             Neville Conroy                               Youths Co-Ordinator
Executive 4                             Tom Poole
Executive 5                             Mike Moore                                    PRO
Executive 6                             Niall Kidd
Executive 7                             Jason Popplewell                          Minis Coach
Executive 8                             Conor Horan                                  Minis Coach

Wednesday 25th March, 2015 - Leinster Anderson J3 Cup


August, 2015 - Senior Squad win tour match at Killarney RFC 

Newbridge's Senior Squad were victorious by 24 points to 17 in their opening match of the 2015/2016 season, a friendly away to Killarney RFC. It was a good blend of senior players and under 20’s that filled the bus which travelled to Killarney on the morning of Saturday 15th August. There was a quick stop on route in Adare Village for tay and sambos before the lads checked into the exquisite “Shire Hostel” on the West Coast of Downtown Killarney. From there we continued our journey, and were welcomed with open arms at Killarney RFC’s top-class brand new pitches, by some fine looking  alicadoos with blazers plus Killarney’s captain Ger Moynihan (a pure gentleman and Killarney legend). 

The game kicked off with support of 100 or so Killarney’ites that were there to enjoy the lovely weather and hopefully some good rugby ... both of which they got in spades. Newbridge opened the scoring with some tasty passing from our new 6’4” All American Ninja who will be playing at 10 for the ’15-’16 season. Our backs worked themselves into the game nicely with some neat passages of play. The Newbridge pack were able to apply pressures on Killarney under throughout. Aidan Healy played his part at prop and threw himself around the field at every opportunity, he’s some brute, as did the exceptionally talented (and devilishly handsome) Colly O’Brien. The two Hobbs’ boys, as well as Maguire, Osborne, Bingo and Mully all played their part and deserving of a mention. Duggy was there somewhere too… Poor Dinny Clarke took a nasty (accidental) blow, and had to be carted off early. We all wish him a speedy recovery, but he’s a hardy nut and missing out on the beer session which followed that night was probably what hurt him the most. 

The game was divided in to four quarters which suited both sides, but after Killarney had scored their second try the game was on a knife-edge. With minutes to go Newbridge gathered right from the kick off and, with credit to our younger, fitter, faster lads, we ran in to score close to the sticks to seal the game, Hill converted, again. The game was played in great spirits and both sides can be proud of the early season exhibition put on display. Final score 17-24! 

The game was done but we knew the craic was about to begin when the referee walked over and placed a cooler box full of cider in to our huddle. Legend! They do it well in The Kingdom! After the disco shower we headed into town and watched Ireland in a less than inspiring game. Then continued our movements around town like a pack of white shirt minions. Our referee re-joined our travelling party and he was greeted with a round of the bumps, to which he laughed more than the rest of us together. Some craic! Our friends from Killarney RFC joined us hither and thither and advised on the best locations to frequent for a “quiet one”. What happened after that is anyones guess......

Larkin and Geelon look forward to the coaching experience with plenty of craic in the season ahead, but there’s a job to do on the pitch first with 20s and Seniors, and the other 2 old & wise minders from the weekend, McCann and O’Brien. We would like to thank Ger and Killarney RFC, and our own lads for their efforts on the pitch and behaviour off it (most of the time) and wish them all the best with the season ahead..

... report courtesy of Colin O'Brien


11th September, 2015 - McCorley Cup Golf Competition

The McCorley Cup was played for at the Curragh Golf Club on Friday 11th September, 2015.  Under the auspices of Newbridge RFC the competition was relaunched very successfully in 2011 and, with the exception of 2114, has been competed for on an annual basis. The McCorley Cup was presented to the Curragh RFC by Col. Roger McCorley (R I P). First competed for in 1971 this is it’s 44th anniversary. The late Roger McCorley was a former player, Chairman and President of the Curragh RFC. Pat Riordan is the current holder of The McCorley Cup.    

This year's McCorley Cup was another success despite the extremely wet weather. About 30 players took part with "Spider" Maher emerging victorious (again!). An enjoyable days was completed by a fine meal, speeches and prize giving in the clubhouse at the Curragh Golf Club.

October, 2015 - RWC 2015 Last Man Standing Winner

Eric Murphy was the outright winner of our Last Man Standing Rugby World Cup competition with a Round Nine total of 9 points. Congratulations Eric! Narrowly pipped at the post were the four joint runners-up who finished just one behind on 8 points. Well done to Andrew Downey, Cliona Kenny, Martin Scully and Ollie Delaney. Well done and a big thank you to everyone who took part. Special mention once again to Barry McCann for organising this most enjoyable and worthwhile event raising over €1,100 for our club. Full details are available on the COMPETITION page.

2Oth September, 2015 - Newbridge into Hosie Semi-Final

Athy   0 pts    v    Newbridge   19 pts

On Sunday 20th September Newbridge travelled to the Showgrounds, Athy to play their third Section B Hosie Cup match knowing a win would put them into a semi-final. Played in very wet conditions Newbridge secured their win scoring three tries without reply.

Athy started the match better adjusting to the poor conditions faster and had the visitors under much pressure. However a missed penalty was the closest they came to scoring. Newbridge started to settle into the game and were able to establish some territory. The opening try came after about 15 minutes when the Newbridge forwards and backs combined in a good interpassing move that same scrum half Mark Delaney touchdown. The missed conversion left the score Newbridge 5 and Athy 0. Athy came back at Newbridge, whose defence was tested, but try as hard as they could the home team couldn’t break through. Then, as half time approached, substitute No8 Mark Doyle turned over the ball near Newbridge’s 22 and made a hole in the Athy defence. The ball was released to outhalf Garrett Brewer who kicked down field. Wing Joe Murphy followed up quickly and fly kicked ahead for Brewer to pick up and score near the posts. Brewer’s successful conversion left the half time score Newbridge 12 and Athy 0. Newbridge added their third try five minutes into the second half. Athy had won a lineout near their 10 metre line and were moving the ball across their back line when a strong tackle by centre Denis O’Callaghan  allowed him to steal the ball, make ground and then release Brewer to run in to score under the posts. His conversion gave Newbridge a 19 point lead.

Newbridge were now on top particularly in the set pieces but that didn’t stop Athy threatening to score. However the resolute Newbridge defence was up to the task. The match ended with Athy dropping a pass on the visitor’s 5 metre line to leave the final score Athy 0 and Newbridge 19. Newbridge will either play Naas or Clondalkin in the semi final.
Newbridge 1st XV :-
15. Gary Maguire, 14. Joe Murphy, 13. Denis O’Callaghan, 12. Stephen Cooke, 11. Niall O’Connor (C),  10. Garrett Brewer, 9. Mark Delaney, 8. Ronan Mangan, 7. Nathan Veltom, 6. Niall Duggan, 5. Terry Donnelly, 4. John Hamilton, 3. Ciaran O’Rourke, 2. Andrew Downes, 1. Matt Duggan
Replacements :- 16. Aidan Healy, 17. Killian O’Hagan, 18. Mark Doyle, 19. Oisin Heffernan, 20. Barry McCann

Newbridge fall short against Naas in 1st Round
Newbridge  12  v  Naas  24

Newbridge 3rd XV played Naas last Tuesday night, 24th March, in the first round of this season's Leinster J3 Anderson Cup. Played in Rosetown on a dry but very cold night, both teams provided a game of entertaining open running rugby. Newbridge were a mix of youth and experience with players such as Barry McCann, Colin O'Brien, Pascal Behan and Jerry Delaney. It was great to see former club captain Keith Hayes, 41 years young, coming on as a 2nd half substitute. At the other end of the age spectrum was Peter Donnelly, son of Newbridge's first captain, Martin.
Newbridge, in only the team's second match, started brightly and had the more match experienced Naas side under pressure. After a number of near misses Newbridge scored the first try after 20 minutes to take a 7 point lead. On the half hour mark Naas scored their first try out wide but failed to convert. Despite opportunities from both teams the score at half time remained Newbridge 7 Naas 5.
Naas had the better of the early part of the second half and started to exploit some poorly directed kicking by Newbridge which allowed Naas's dangerous backs to counter-attack. Newbridge, showing lack of match fitness, started to fall off tackles and loose the ball in contact. Naas exploited these to score two more tries and had a 19 point to 7 lead going into the last quarter.
When Newbridge scored their second try, unconverted, the gap was down to 7 points. They raised their game and had Naas under pressure for much of the remaining time. However a Newbridge cross field kick was fielded by the Naas full back on his 10 metre line and the counter-attached set up their left wing to score their fouth try to close out the game.